Thursday, July 30, 2009

Salute to Kate Furneaux



From the little I knew you, you always brought a smile to my face and I am sure I am one of the few millions touched by you.

In your tribute, I am posting your note on "25 things":


I was supposed to finish some work today, but daydreaming took over......

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you (and you're someone who I think might have fun with this kind of thing and hasn't done it already!).

(To do this, go to “notes” or the "+" sign under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people--in the right hand corner of the app--then click publish.)

1. I love drinking tea and all the traditions associated with it
2. I’ve always wanted to have a strong Cumbrian accent like my cousins. When I was a kid I used to try to speak “proper Cumbrian”. It didn’t work.
3. I’m always late – to arrive, to finish things, to leave….. I never intend to be, and I’m sure people wonder just exactly how I’ve managed it.
4. I really love football. I think the irrationality of a football supporter is brilliant.
5. I’ve never been to a football match out of the UK – yet.
6. I love India.
7. I would love to find out if Jamon really is the tastiest food in the world, as all Spaniards tell me – but being vegetarian stops me!
8. I’ve been known to convince myself I can eat Mussels as a vegetarian because “they don’t have brains”.
9. I once got a lift across the Tanzanian-Kenyan border on the back of a push bike to avoid work permit issues – and got a marriage proposal from the guy riding the bike.
10. I’m really indecisive. Especially about food.
11. I like it when people are straight to the point and honest – it makes life a lot simpler.
12. I love picking fresh fruit and vegetables. Especially raspberries.
13. I love fresh air, wide open spaces, and silence. But I’m not very good at the silence part.
14. I love baking cakes. And then sharing them.
15. Laughing is brilliant.
16. I wish I was better with words. I either muddle them up, or sometimes offend people by saying something I didn’t mean. I hate offending people.
17. I admire spontaneity.
18. My close friends always know exactly the right thing to say to me. And I often wonder if I ever manage to return the favour.
19. Juvenile Harlequin Sweetlips are the most brilliant fish – for the name alone.
20. I’m ashamed of being a bit scared of cows since my Uncle and Granda were dairy farmers.
21. The number of stars in the sky is amazing – I struggle to get my head around the Milky Way though.
22. I discovered that snakes can travel up walls when I was hiding from one on the top bunk.
23. I think anyone who can speak more than one language is really talented. And brave.
24. I think really cold places, with snow and blue ice, are beautiful, but I always get cold hands so I can’t stay outside and play for long.
25. I think if I could be a rainforest creature, I’d be a gibbon.
I am sure wherever you are, that place has just become a brighter place.
Goodbye Kate.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thankyou for your tribute to Kate it is nice to discover new things about her. David furneaux

George F said...

Her '25 things' came up in webdings for me, but I pasted it to word to read.

She was a deeply impressive person, and her death is a terrible loss. I feel really grateful for having known her and from being able to learn from her example.

Erica said...

Thanks for posting this. I was really lucky to know Kate. She was an exceptionally kind, intelligent and moral person. She was a wonderful friend.

Binoy said...

The only picture I have of her is her ever-smiling face. She was such a happy soul.

Erica said...

Yes, I think of Kate like that, too. She's always been on my phone as 'Kate Smiler'. It's a good way to remember her, I think.

Binoy said...

Agreed.

Asha said...

Stumbled across your blog when i was looking online for tributes.

Love the initiative she took. Really questions how well we know the people closest to us.

My condolences for your loss.

Binoy said...

I am deeply impressed by how Kate's family decided to celebrate her life rather than mourn her death. When I do make it to UK some day, I would love to meet her family. Hopefully, summer of 2010.

Martin said...

Miss you so much Kate. x