Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Back Home or Thereabouts

I am tired. Dallas - Vegas - Portland - Vancouver in the past 2 weeks, I wouldn't complain but now I am thoda tired. Good to be back home, sitting on the couch and back to mundane life.

I wouldn't say that Vegas isn't the place to be for New Years but ladies and gentlemen, me be from Pune and thats where all my Decembers are gonna be henceforth, thank you very much. Bas. Done. Period.

I liked Vancouver a lot. In spite of the fact that I went there the wrong time of the year, the city has an undeniable charm that doesn't go unnoticed. Some claim it to be the best city in the world, I can see why they say so although my personal favourite will always be Montreal. Its maybe not as enriched by nature as Vancouver but its one of those cities you want to build your summer home in, not to mention the personal attachment I have with Montreal. I was in Vancouver for about a week and I really feel the students at UBC are a blessed lot. Situated right in the middle of paradise. Absolutely fantastic university.

Back home to Portland for now. It's amazing what that word 'home' does to me. When I reached Dallas, met my sis, niece, nephew, mom it felt like home. Now when I'm back to Portland I get a similar feeling. Multiple destinations - Home. I am not going through an identity crisis or anything, just love it when my body shrugs off all tiredness at the sight of home. Be it Dallas or Portland, I can feel the tiredness flowing out of my body at the mere thought of home.

Why am I talking about home? I wonder too. Over the 3 odd years that I have been here, these so-called homes have given me the little pleasures of what it really feels like to be back to where I belong. I don't care where my ancestors came from, what was their identity, all I really care is the warmth, the sense of belonging I get when I think of home. And that to me is Pune. It always will be. Everytime I return back to Pune, the thrill and the excitement of a child returning home from boarding school will run through me.

I will start making plans for my India trip soon. Pune, my home. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wasoo Mama's place on the 31st then. You're booked. :)

Binoy said...

Great!! :)
Home it is then.