Sunday, June 19, 2011

I loved London. Not just as a city but as a place where so many cultures meet. I cannot begin to explain the euphoria and the excitement you go through when you meet your old school friends, especially in a city like London. I can still recollect that weekend, taste the wine, tap my feet to the barn dance music and above all just chill with my closest friends. The Picadilly Circle's, the Trafalgar Square's etc were made all the more special having experienced them with the people I grew up with. To me that was what London was all about.

York was all about my kids. I'm extremely happy that I'm not missing their growing up phase and it doesn't come as any surprise that I love them (and also miss them) the most. Ok maybe that's not quite true, mom's up there as well but you get the point. I did do the Yorkminster Cathedral and the City Center to officially tick that city but eh! Who really cares.

So the thing about England is that it literally is a smaller version of India. Forgive the reverse comparison and also disregard the skin color. The roads are smaller, places could get dingy and people have the "chalta hai" attitude. The one aspect in which they are completely different to us is their obsession with dull colors. Especially black and grey and grey. And did I mention grey? I mean I understand the weather there isn't the best but why similar clothes? You're almost an outcast if bright colors is your thing. Which was the case with me.

A trip to England without Liverpool according to me is blasphemy. Quite obviously that was the highlight of my trip. I finally got to see my club and my stadium. Now if only I could play a game on that sacred ground. Everything I dreamt about and maybe more, larger than life experience. My next trip to England (if at all) will most likely be solely to watch a match at Anfield. Or play maybe? (what's the harm in dreaming, right?)

Scotland was amazing. Edinburgh blew my mind away. What a fantastic city! So much history, architecture and such a beautiful place. Talking about beautiful, nothing gets more beautiful than Inverness and the Lochs. And even if you're not a big fan of scotch and/or whisky, you gotta try one. Simply because it's Scotland. That's literally all they ever do. Apart from playing their bagpipers wearing a skirt (I had to write that, sorry).

Absolutely awesome trip! Icing on the cake was that I could accommodate a bonus one week trip to India as well :)

No comments: