Saturday, April 7, 2012

Marathi Manus Speaketh - Continued...

Madhya Pradesh: Skip

Rajasthan: I hear it's a colorful state. Ashish talks highly about something (which I forget now). Sonal too. So palaces, culture and sand-duning (if there is one). After that burn it down.

Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and Bihar: No, thank you very much.

Punjab-Haryana: Apart from the obvious choices such as the Golden Temple, Wagha Border etc. I would like to visit these states just for the people and their food. Apart from Goans, these guys are the masters of living life King-size (or Queen-size depending on who you are). By that, I don't just mean a lavish lifestyle but just the zest these guys bring to living life. Not to mention their food; dal makhani, rajmah, chana bhatoora, sarso da saag te makki di roti, lassi aaah! Salivation types de happening. So a definite must go.

Delhi-Uttar Pradesh: The only reason for lumping these two together is for simplicity. I mean for the longest time I thought Noida came under Delhi suburbs (which it still might) but only a few years back was I made aware that Noida comes in Uttar Pradesh (Delhi being a Union Territory). So all that technical correctness put aside, Delhi will be properly visited for its history. Red Fort, Jama Masjid and the Qutab Minar to name a few. Also I think Agra (Taj Mahal) is in UP but tends to be lumped in with a Delhi visit. And yes I am one of those Indians who hasn't done Taj Mahal yet (shame on me) but it iz baat it iz (and will be corrected). You would think that Delhi would have such a confluence of cultures given the fact that city (alongwith Jerusalem) might just be the most invaded (and inhabited) city in human history. The food there for obvious reasons, is to die for. When it comes to UP, you hear of such places as Mirzapur, Lucknow, Kanpur, Meerut and you got to think that there must be so much history (and with history comes culture and food) associated with these places. I can't help but think you got to be there to experience it.

Himachal Pradesh and J&K: I don't think I need to write anything to convince myself why I need to go there. Those places speak for themselves. Enough said.

West Bengal & the North East: West Bengal for especially their sweets and seafood (different variance of what I've grown up to). North East for a different kind of beauty that I have heard a lot from my army-bred friends.

So that's it. I am very fortunate to be born in such a diverse country but extremely unfortunate not to have done at least a reasonable amount of this magnificent country by now. I have done quite a bit of North America and am quite happy with what I have done but it's not quite like experiencing India. I have this feeling that India will take my breath away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Madhya pradesh shouldnt be skipped ... its got some amazing heritage sites like Khajurao, Sanchi stupa , Gwalior fort etc. Kanha tiger reserve is something to be experienced.... your list btw is quite exhaustive it will be an achievement if u manage to do this ... all d best. .
Regards Shruti