Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's always a good idea to experience the culture of the place you're in. I mean if you're in a place (for whatever reason) you might as well make the most of it, right? Unless of course you happen to visit the Bay Area. In which case it's India all over again. No, no, it could be a good thing. Depends on the way you look at it.

Some people like to carry their country wherever they go. Not my cup of  tea but aah well. Now if you have a place in US where Indians and Chinese have literally taken over the land, you're bound to question if you are in fact in America. Think about this. Take a stroll around Koregaon Park near German Bakery, the area where these Osho enlightened ones loiter. Not much different. That's the amount of Amrikaans you shall find there. Like I said. It could be a good thing. Especially if you're there on work for a week (and the weekend).

Incidentally I just happened to be in the Bay Area last week on work. Just in time for the Dandiya weekend. I've never seen a place with 5000 Indians in one place all dressed up for the occasion. Not even in India. Completely worth it. Also, if you're into Dandiya and all that, do try out Garba. The true authentic style. Trust me, its way way more fun than just playing Dandiya. Which actually brings me to another relevant topic. These typical Indian occasions tends to attract a special type of wannabes. The kinds that come to Dandiya with a poker face (yes a poker face!) and dance like they "know it". And with the poker face (yes I said it again). Now agreed, most of them actually do do a good job with the dancing bit, but with the poker, serious, know it kinda face, you tend to wonder if they really do enjoy it. The interesting bit comes when you run into (or maybe dance into?) these kinds, you are all peppy and stuff and the poker face person just does it and moves on. It's hilarious. I seriously think they have lost the entire point of it all. Which is to have fun. And not "know it".

Over to food. Fantastic! I dearly miss eating good Indian food outside and the Bay Area has tons of those. Good, good food. That's probably the only thing I miss about not being in the Bay Area. Work culture? Not really. Having said that, spending the weekend with my former roomie from NC State was an absolute blast.

Also the reason for me to write this post and like I often tend to do before I have to work long hours. Now I feel better and can get back to work tonight. Or maybe not.


No comments: