Thursday, January 7, 2010

I heard this today and it took me completely by surprise. In US, one out of every four women physically abuse their partner/husband. Yeah, you read it just right. Apparently 20 years back (thereabouts) the ratio was 1:10 and now it's 1:4. According to the psychologist being interviewed, this number is skewed since the number is based on reported cases, quite a large number of men might not be reporting it out of sheer embarrassment.

I was quite taken aback when I heard this. Not because a woman can't beat up a man, but just that there are so many stereotypical stuff that is just assumed in life and stats like these come as a real eye-opener. I am not trying to trash womankind, I am against any form of violence or physical abuse, period but if I have to a step back, stereotyping is something that happens to everyone unknowingly and I am so much of a believer in not stereotyping but in spite of that, it just happens. Some situations, people that come to my mind and I have, at a later stage, figured not to stereotype are:

1. A sick person (terminal case types) is subject to sympathy and cannot think wrong/evil/selfish (you get the point)
2. The leader is the strongest person in the team and he can make no mistakes.
3. Pastors are perfect, in other words they are not humans.

I have a lot more that comes to mind but those could be controversial. Every now and then when one of those stereotypical spell is broken, I am amazed at how we tend to unknowingly set assumptions and have our sub-conscience make conclusions and store it in our CPU's.

I wonder how many more are there to be broken, but hopefully I am becoming a better/unbiased person as time passes.

No comments: