Friday, December 7, 2007

Tiramisu. Or Not?

My country thrives on "Indianizing" things. From movies to education, automobiles to homes, we're post doctorates in making the alien familiar. Food is no exception. I can imagine Chinese folks screaming bloody murder upon seeing their culture's dishes morphed into something completely unrecognizable. How else can one explain the phenomenon called American Chopsuey. There is nothing American about it, neither is it remotely Chinese. But fact is that it sells. It's not just Chinese you know, every country worth mentioning have had their food duly indianized.

So what happens when an Indian leaves his home and comes to the United States? He knows not what Indianization means. All he really cares about is to keep his taste buds satisfied and the only way he has known it. There is a richness about the Indian adaptation that is hard to relinquish and forces comparison. I have known Tiramisu just one way and that is the culinary marvel dished out to me at Sanewadi. Let me give the magician her due first.
Ameeta Kulkarni. Those hands of her' make the most amazing desserts one could ever imagine which quite rightly needs the bottomless pits of Yours Truly' and Ashish' tummies to do justice.


Haan so back to Tiramisu. It's one of those culinary wonders that I can never have enough of, I don't know what goes on under the hood but I couldn't care less. I am now facing a kind of reverse comparison syndrome. Every italian restaurant I go to has to live up to this unfair expectation that is bound to not be met. It is getting more and more evident to me that it's no longer Tiramisu that Ameeta makes. She can, if you ask me, quite rightly give that amazing dish a new name or else these italians have a seemingly impossible task of trying to match up to her culinary wizardy.

Ooooooh the amalgamation of vodka, expresso coffee, cocoa. I tell you, pure ecstasy.
Indianization? What indianization?

I be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheers!
:)
Kiti maska ata?

Binoy said...

Aho tasa naay ho! :)
I am not kidding dude. Not one Italian restaurant matches up to the high standard set. While in the same vein I should also mention the Dark Chocolate at Polka Dots, I am yet to find a restaurant here. Whatever it is that is called Indianization, bottomline is taste buds just know one fact, taste. :)