Friday, November 2, 2007

All of Mine

Yesterday I paid up the loan for my car. My first car and I own it now, completely. My first big and the single most special purchase that I have made to date. At least for me, this seems such a huge achievement.

I remember the time in 5th grade, mom had bought us a new bicycle. It was primarily for my sister but I refused to accept that. My sis hated me then, I didn't like the fact that she was my elder sister either. But at the same time it made getting hold of the bicycle and cycling away to some place far, that much more exciting. Those days I dreamt of owning a Yamaha. That was like the ultimate achievement for me. Today I own my own Honda but not before going through a crap load of transitions. See the thing was that whatever my sis discarded would be invariably given to me so you see I didn't get to do a lot of choosing. She left the bicycle for a Sunny, then the Sunny for a Kinetic. Yours truly got his sis' discards. Binoy wasn't too happy but wasn't complaining either. And then one day Binoy turned 18 and it was time again for the switch to happen, sis' Kinetic was the natural outcome but he put his foot down. It was time to realize his dream, his very own Yamaha - RD350... alright who I am kidding here, a Yamaha RX100 (you see if I had asked mom for RD350 then my sis' Kinetic would be the natural outcome) Turned out RX100 didn't happen either, the buggers stopped production and mommy dearest wasn't too keen to see her son on a second hand beauty racing away on her investment. So Honda Splendor was what I got and boy did she serve me well. I was able to convince Ashish to get Yamaha RX100 (the bugger still thinks he owes me big time for that) which made my life that much more easier. I had the bike whenever I wanted ( the bugger always gave it willingly with a deep sense of gratitude). The ride to the Sinhagad's and the Mulshi's was that much more ...... aaaaaaahhhhh! ( you can sense the nirvana attainment type sa mode) better still your girl with you, with the wind behind you and the mountains in front, the river flowing by.... kay ata! What Buddha!? What kinda nirvana were you talking about sitting under a tree.

Flash forward - Things have changed, countries have changed, I sit in Portland writing this blog with a car of my own and money at my disposal but I would, without a second thought, let go of all this to live that life once again. Don't be mistaken, I love my car, she's gonna be mine for a long time to come but it's just a matter of time before I will be back home, to good ol' Pune, vroooming past the chai tapri at Khadakwasla enroute to the bhajias up on the mountains.

I be.

No comments: